A: No. The SOPHAS application allows you to enter multiple personal statements and attach them to each designation individually, which will allow you to personalize each essay. When entering your personal statement(s) you will need to give each essay a title, which will appear in a drop-down menu that you can access from the School Designations page after you have added a designation. To access this drop down and attach an essay to a designation, click the Add Personal Statement link in the upper left of the school designation listing. Make sure to click “Save” after you have made your selection on the drop-down.
Here is a screen shot of the steps to add multiple personal statements;
Now that you have one statement entered, you can see that the “add new entry” button is still available. This will allow you to continue entering personal statements as you add new designations
Your personal essay is intended to give you the opportunity to submit a narrative to each school to which you are applying describing your past education, experience, and current professional career objectives. Your statement of purpose should describe your:
- Reasons for interest in public health
- Reasons for interest in academic dept or concentration
- Reasons for interest in SPH
- Career goals
- If you are applying to a doctoral program, your proposed research topic.
Be sure to check with the schools to which you plan to apply to ask whether there are any specific subjects you should address or questions you should answer in your essay(s).
Note: You are encouraged to compose your statement in a text-only word processor (e.g., Notepad), review your statement for errors, then cut and paste the final version into the text box. You are limited to 1500 words. Note: If you paste text from some word processing programs (i.e. Microsoft Word) certain formatting characters such as angled quotes, accents, and other special characters will not display properly. Please review your final text and make corrections to the format as necessary.
To enter your Statement of Purpose and Objectives:
- Click ADD NEW ENTRY
- In the “Name of Statement of Purpose and Objectives” box, enter a unique description for this essay
- USING YOUR OWN WORDS, enter your Statement of Purpose and Objectives into the “Statement of Purpose and Objectives” textbox
- Click SAVE
Entering Multiple Statement of Purpose and Objectives:
If you are applying to multiple schools and want to make your essays specific to each school follow the instructions above, and name additional essays with different unique descriptions. To assign essays to specific schools, click the ADD STATEMENT link once you have selected your school designations and choose the appropriate essay from the drop-down menu that appears.
The Statement of Purpose and Objectives review page will display the name and preview of the essay you entered:
- To update your Statement of Purpose and Objectives click the blue button under Update on the Right side of the screen
- To delete a Statement of Purpose and Objectives click the red X button under Update on the Right side of the screen
Please click here for images to demonstrate this process;